[vtkusers] store frame + z-buffer as image

Glen.Coates at csiro.au Glen.Coates at csiro.au
Wed Jan 29 18:23:46 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm a VTK noob so forgive me if this is a FAQ.  I'm writing an application
that visualises volumetric data by rendering an MIP of the data and
orthogonal slices through the data in the same renderer.

I'd like to be able to slide the slices through the volume while the MIP
is visible as quickly as possible, however, at present the MIP algorithm
is re-run every time I move one of the slices.

The sensible approach to this problem would be to run the MIP once, store
the resulting image (and Z-depths for each pixel) somewhere, and then when
I want to interact by moving the slices, I simply used the cached MIP to
re-render the scene, using pixels from the slice or the MIP depending on
the stored Z-depths.

I'm not sure about how to go about implementing this.  Could anyone offer
any helpful hints?

--
Cheers,
Glen