[vtkusers] If N filters compose a pipeline, do we have N dat aObjects ?

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Fri Jan 24 14:42:58 EST 2003

Depends on how you are managing the memory in the pipeline.

Some filters will pass along a reference to certain blocks
of data rather than copy the data.  For instance, a filter
that operates on the scalars will pass the normals along
without performing a copy.  So the memory will only increase
by the amount of new scalars.

You can also set up the pipeline such that a filter will
release the memory for its input once it is done executing.
In this way, the memory footprint will increase to 2 Mo
while the filter is executing then descrease back down to
1 Mo.  But it will not increase to the 10 Mo you are
worried about.

Take a look at the ReleaseData features on Process and Data
objects.