[vtkusers] Cross-compiling VTK CVS using CMake

Mumit Khan khan at nanotech.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 22 12:36:11 EST 2003

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Vincent Nicolas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've succesfully cross-compiled VTK nightly with CMake and MinGW under Linux. I prefer MinGW to Cygwin because it's completely OpenSource, even for commercial products, and it links angainst msvcrt.dll, which assure "linkage compatibility" with Visual Studio binaries (almost all windows-libraries are compiled with VS).
>
> I've made two scripts for compiling VTK, which allow the use of CMake, I don't think CMake support host/target system.
> Here's my freshly created webpage about that :	http://www.tele.ucl.ac.be/~nicovic

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for your response. What I'm looking for is a maintainable solution,
which in VTK's case implies the use CMake without the extra effort, other
than perhaps adding pre-computed values to the cache. I'll take a look at
your scripts.

It's off topic here, but your reason for choosing Mingw over Cygwin is
somewhat misstated -- both are completely opensource, the main difference
is that Cygwin runtime is distributed under GPL, the implications of which
are noted on the Cygwin web site, while there is no restriction when using
Mingw runtime stubs. If you need more information, please feel free to
contact me directly.

Regards,
Mumit