[vtkusers] Python Examples

William Greathouse william.greathouse at the-greathouses.net
Wed Jan 22 10:55:48 EST 2003

My preference also... I use Linux based systems for most product
development and release.  But, I travel with a M$ laptop and need
access to the M$ software world.  I use cygwin for most of my application
development as the code is highly portable to Linux.  I want to acheive
the same portable support for visualization code and scripting.  But I am
under the impressiion that the cygin/vtk support is not quite ready.  I'll
try doing a new build of VTK under cygwin with Tcl, Tk, Python support and
see how it plays out.

> > doc's, it seems that "rendering" is not part of the default build.  Is
> > this the build module that results in the needed dll?  I have not had
>
> I find this very hard to believe.  Rendering contains some crucial VTK
> components, such as vtkRenderer and vtkRenderWindow.  You're probably
> missing some other module.

In wrapping/Python/README.txt, "rendering, hybrid, pateneted and parallel"
are listed under "Optional Kits".  This led to my interpretation that
it might not be included in the default build.  I will try again doing
my own build and see what occurs.

> > any success in rebuilding VTK from the CVS sources in the past,
> so I was
> > looking for a ready-made solution to an integrated VTK, GUI, Python.
> > Tk seemed the simple choice, but if I need to rebuild VTK Python, I am
> > willing to use other "free" libraries.  Do you have any recommendations?
>
> Tk is the simplest and probably most straight-forward choice.

My impression also.

> --
> charl p. botha http://cpbotha.net/ http://visualisation.tudelft.nl/

Thank you for the input.