[vtkusers] Python Examples

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at its.tudelft.nl
Wed Jan 22 10:13:33 EST 2003

Please don't CC me on your replies to the list.  Thanks.

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 16:02, William Greathouse wrote:
> PYTHONPATH and PATH are both configured.  I can run other VTK Python
> examples that do not require vtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.dll.  This dll
> was not installed with the vtkNightly files.  Looking further into the

Urgh...  did you also download and install vtkNightlyTcl.exe?  I am no
expert on the nightly builds, I prefer to have my own build.  In
addition, I mostly do this on *ix-like operating systems.

> doc's, it seems that "rendering" is not part of the default build.  Is
> this the build module that results in the needed dll?  I have not had

I find this very hard to believe.  Rendering contains some crucial VTK
components, such as vtkRenderer and vtkRenderWindow.  You're probably
missing some other module.

> any success in rebuilding VTK from the CVS sources in the past, so I was
> looking for a ready-made solution to an integrated VTK, GUI, Python.
> Tk seemed the simple choice, but if I need to rebuild VTK Python, I am
> willing to use other "free" libraries.  Do you have any recommendations?

Tk is the simplest and probably most straight-forward choice.