[vtkusers] Filled circle glyphs instead of spheres

David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz
Sun Jan 19 20:40:53 EST 2003

Gidday Craig,

Did you see the Resolution settings for vtkSphereSource?

Read up on vtkLODActor and vtkRenderWindowInteractor->SetDesiredUpdateRate
( DisplayFramesPerSecond );

Try vtkDiscSource, and play with the Resolution settings. You can set 0 for
the inner radius to get a full circle.  Look at vtkFollower to have discs
always face the camera.

Try passing the point data directly to a mapper, points should render quite
fast. See vtkActor->GetProperty()->SetPointSize( SomethingMoreThanOne ) for
'phat' points (may cost speed ?).

Take a look at vtkLODProp3D to allow a lower resolution (eg discs and/or
points) when interacting and higher resolution (eg spheres) when
interaction stops or slows down.

You can use vtkMaskPoints to subsample the data. This could work well as a
low-res LOD for vtkLODProp3D.

   one or more of the above should be useful

      Dave Pont

|--------+--------------------------------->
|        |          "Craig N. Scott"       |
|        |          <craig.scott at csiro.au> |
|        |          Sent by:               |
|        |          vtkusers-admin at public.k|
|        |          itware.com             |
|        |                                 |
|        |                                 |
|        |          20/01/2003 13:37       |
|        |                                 |
|--------+--------------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                            |
  |      To:     vtkusers at public.kitware.com                                                                   |
  |      cc:                                                                                                   |
  |      Subject:     [vtkusers] Filled circle glyphs instead of spheres                                       |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi all. I have data sets consisting of a potentially large number of
points. As a first step, I want to simply view these points in space as
filled circles of a set radius. I can use vtkSphereSource to render all
points as spheres and the result looks nice, but this is overkill and
gets way too expensive for large data sets. I don't need the complexity
of spheres, just circles drawn in the viewing plane regardless of the
camera orientation. Any ideas on an easy way to do this?

This would seem to me like a common request (think: quick-and-dirty
rendering of particles or molecules), so my apologies if this has been
asked before. I could find no easy solution in the User's Guide nor from
a quick glance through the search facility.

Thanks in advance.

--
Dr Craig Scott, CSIRO (CMIS)
Melbourne, Australia