[vtkusers] vtkPointPicker in MFC dialog window

Karlsson Erik erik.karlsson at optronic.se
Fri Jan 17 12:00:31 EST 2003

Hi vtk users!
I am using vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow as a part of a MFC dialog window to
visualise my data. I have searched this forum and found some information on
how to intercept the messages from mouse movement, mouse click etc. and
found some information, but I still cant get it to work in a desirable way.
What I want to do is to override the vtk interactor if  "picking mode" has
been selected and if not I want to use the vtk interactor to zoom and rotate
my object.
It works fine if I set the window id of the render window to the m_hWnd of
the dialog like this:

RenderWindow->SetWindowId(m_hWnd);

But when I do it like that, the render window takes over the entire dialog
and all my buttons and other GUI-stuff ends up on top of the render window
and that's not what I want...  I would rather just set the parent id of the
render window to the dialogs m_hWnd, like this:

RenderWindow->SetParentId(m_hWnd);

The problem is that I cant find a way to override the interactor when I do
it like that. If I place the mouse pointer over the area used by the render
window the vtk interactor takes over. And I don't want to disable the
interactor, since I want to use the picker.

If I have been unclear in explaining the problem, please tell me so that I
can make a better one! :)

Thanks in advance!

/Erik