[vtkusers] tracing the execution of vtkContourFilter

vtk replies vtk_replies at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 15 19:56:46 EST 2003

Hello,
I am interested in finding out how vtkContourFilter
works. I want to trace and step into every call that
is made to methods from other classes during the
execution of this filter.

This is what I tried doing:

 I used the example Vol.cxx (in graphics/examplesCxx
directory of vtk). It is a simple program with the
following steps

--create renderer, renderwindow & other things
necessary to render a scene
--create contour filter
--set input of contour filter to some structured
points data file
--call the Render() method of renderwindow to render
scene.

============
PROBLEMS
============
(1) When I set a break point at the Execute() method
in vtkContourFilter.H , the method did not seem to get
called at all during execution.
(2) when I set a break point in the Render() method in
the main program file (Vol.cxx), the path of execution
is not tracable either.

what am I doing wrong/ stupid ?

===============
HELP !!!!
Will anyone who knows a solution to my problem please
guide me ?

what exactly should I do to see the step by step
execution of vtkContourFilter, including being able to
step into the methods that it calls from other classes
?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Subha.