[vtkusers] Segmentation Fault

Dingrong Yi dingryi at sten.sunnybrook.utoronto.ca
Tue Jan 14 11:39:27 EST 2003

Hi David,
Thank you for your reply. Please continue reading.

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, David Gobbi wrote:

> Hi Dingrong,
>
> The segmentation fault might be a result of having different
> copies of VTK on your system, for example on Windows if you
> have DLLs sitting around from an old build, this can cause
> real problems.
>
> Check your PATH (or under UNIX your LD_LIBRARY_PATH) to make
> sure that it points to only one copy of your VTK DLLs/.so files.

I am using linux. When check with which vtk, I get
/data/VTK/bin/vtk

Does not this enough telling me that PATH setting alright?

> Also, in future emails related to build problems please quote more
> information about your system.  In particular you should defintely
> give
> 1) your platform (Windows, Linux, IRIX)
Linux

> 2) your compiler
I have installed
CMake1.4.6-x86-linux-static.tar.gz
but when I rpm -q gcc I get
gcc-2.96-110

> 3) which versions of python and tcl you use
python-1.5.2-38

> 4) what CMake variables you have changed (e.g. for python
>    builds you should BUILD_SHARED_LIBS on)
 BUILD_EXAMPLES                   ON
 BUILD_SHARED_LIBS                ON
 BUILD_TESTING                    ON
 CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS
 CMAKE_C_FLAGS
 CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX             /usr/local
 DART_ROOT                        NOTFOUND
 PYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH              /usr/include/python1.5
 PYTHON_LIBRARY                   /usr/lib/python1.5/config/libpython1.5.a
 TCL_INCLUDE_PATH                 /usr/include
 TCL_LIBRARY                      /usr/lib/libtcl.so
 TCL_LIBRARY_DEBUG                NOTFOUND
 TCL_STUB_LIBRARY                 /usr/lib/libtclstub.a
 TCL_STUB_LIBRARY_DEBUG           NOTFOUND
 TCL_TCLSH                        /usr/bin/tclsh
 TK_INCLUDE_PATH                  /usr/include
 TK_LIBRARY                       /usr/lib/libtk.so
 TK_LIBRARY_DEBUG                 NOTFOUND
 TK_STUB_LIBRARY                  /usr/lib/libtkstub.a
 TK_STUB_LIBRARY_DEBUG            NOTFOUND
 TK_WISH                          /usr/bin/wish
 VTK_DATA_ROOT                    /data/VTK
 VTK_USE_ANSI_STDLIB              OFF
 VTK_USE_HYBRID                   OFF
 VTK_USE_PARALLEL                 OFF
 VTK_USE_PATENTED                 ON
 VTK_USE_RENDERING                ON
 VTK_USE_VOLUMEPRO                OFF
 VTK_WRAP_JAVA                    OFF
 VTK_WRAP_PYTHON                  ON
 VTK_WRAP_TCL                     ON

> 5) anything else you think might be relevant

When I installed Python & VTK4.n, I once forced installing
Mesa-3.4-10.i386.rpm to upgrade a previous version. I followed
the procedures "Installing Python & VTK  Linux RedHat 7.x"
(found at http://www.imaging.robarts.ca/coders/)
though my version is newer than 7.x.

Thank you David.