[vtkusers] failed to compile VTK4.0 with Borland C++ Builder 6

Xianjin Yang Yang at AGIUSA.COM
Tue Jan 7 12:12:21 EST 2003

Hi Marcedo and VTK Users,

Thanks for your help.

I downloaded the source of VTK 4.0 official release, installed Borland C++
Builder 6 trial version and CMake. The compilation took about an hour on my 1GHz
Laptop but did not complete successfully. Here is the actual error message.

--------------------
Borland C++ 5.6 for Win32 Copyright (c) 1993, 2002 Borland
C:\Engineering\VTK\Hybrid\vtkVRMLImporter.cxx:
Error E2171 C:\Engineering\VTK\Hybrid\vtkVRML.h 79: Body has already been
defined
for function 'operator new[](unsigned int,void *)'
Error E2451 C:\Engineering\VTK\Hybrid\vtkVRML.h 80: Undefined symbol 'v' in
func-
tion operator new[](unsigned int,void *)
*** 2 errors in Compile ***
** error 1 ** deleting vtkVRMLImporter.obj
** error 1 ** deleting default_target
** error 1 ** deleting default_target_Hybrid
** error 1 ** deleting default_target
C:\Engineering\vtkbin>

I did notice that many OBJ files were produced. 9 DLL and 9 LIB files can be
found in BIN directory, such vtkCommon.dll, vtkCommon.lib, vtkRendering.dll,
vtkRendering.lib, ...

I am not sure how to set CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM in CMakeSetupDialog. I found a
make.exe in my Delphi 5 installation directory. Other settings are the same as
what you recommended.

What is the problem? Is it a compatibility issue between Borland and MS C++?

Thank a lot.

Yang