[vtkusers] linking errors using hybrid classes

Dion Scott d.scott at shrs.uq.edu.au
Thu Feb 13 18:37:19 EST 2003

Hello everybody,

I'm new to VTK and have encountered difficulties using the Hybrid classes.
I keep getting compiler errors, such as:

"error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public:
static class vtkEarthSource..."

I have searched the VTK mailing list for similar problems and the general
response is that I am missing the vtkdll.lib. I have built VTK from the
source code, using VC++ 6.0/ Win2k, and made sure to turn on the Hybrid and
Shared libs options in CMake. Afterwards if I do a search, there is no
vtkdll.lib file to be found. I have built and run the C++ examples provided
and they execute without trouble but when I try adding the class
vtkEarthSource, for example, I get the above errors. I have made sure to
include the corresponding header as well.

Also, I have tried building VTK using the Static libs option in CMake, but
then I get "cdecl external" compiler errors when including Hybrid classes.
Does any body have any suggestions what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dion