[vtkusers] newbie questions

Jeremy Winston winston at cat.rpi.edu
Tue Feb 11 08:57:31 EST 2003

Mike Carifio wrote:
> Sorry for the newbie questions, but here goes:
>
> 1) I'd like to get the vtk books, but they appear to be
>    out of stock. I sent some email to kitware and I'm
>    sure they'll respond shortly. My question: is there
>    any other avenue to purchase the books?

Kitware has purchased the publication rights back from
Prentice Hall.  The 3rd edition has been printed and is
at the binders (at last update by the primary author,
Will Schroeder).  When it is available for purchase,
Will said in his last message on the subject that he
would notify the mailing list.  When it is available,
you will be able to buy it from the Kitware site at
http://www.kitware.com/products/vtktextbook.html

> 2) I'm looking into using vtk for an application to
>    visualize [interactively via a GUI] some data.
>    [...] Is vtk suited to this sort of application?

It is ideally suited to this sort of application.  You
can throw together a GUI for interaction in a matter of
minutes using Tk and the Tcl/Tk wrapper.  Once you have
it the way you want it, you can recode it using C++
(Borland or MS) if you are concerned about performance.

HTH,
-Jeremy

PS. Both these questions have been covered in the list; you can
     usually save time by first checking the list archives at
         http://www.kitware.com/search.html