[vtkusers] Volume visualization

Jonathan Bailleul bailleul at greyc.ismra.fr
Fri Feb 7 09:15:04 EST 2003

Seema Jaisinghani wrote:

> Hi VTK users,
>
> I have some volume data (of the order of a 400x400x400
> cube) which needs to be visualized.
> It consists of 3 different kinds of objects.The scalar
> value at each point represents which object  does it
> lie within. So there are basically 4 vaules
> only(objects+cavity). The data does not represent the
> surface of any object, rather which object it is
> contained in.
> I am looking for the best and efficient way to render
> it out. I am wondering if volumeraycasting is the
> option or if marching cubes would be a better way for
> this.

I can state that marching cube works fine, since, I've tested it
successfully in the same conditions with raw volumes.
Though, as I used an existing script
(http://www.crd.ge.com/%7Elorensen/seg12/) for this purpose, I had to
slice my volume into images first to comply with it, since I did not
figure out how to modify it.

The process raises a vtk file with mesh definition which is fast to read
and render, but the generation of the file (volume reading + marching
cubes + decimation, among others) isn't! Consider about 5/10 mins on a
Athlon 1700 with 256megs (memory matters: about 100 meg consed for the
process).

Ask me for direct code if you need.

> Also, the data will be time-varying at a later stage
> of the project.

Well, I'm stuck here.