[vtkusers] SOLUTION: Coloring for cells not working on Dell D600 (Linux)

Craig N. Scott craig.scott at csiro.au
Thu Dec 18 01:58:09 EST 2003

Sorry to answer my own post, but I thought it might be useful in case
someone goes searching the archives later. The workaround for this
problem is to turn off 3D hardware acceleration (remove the "Load dri"
line from /etc/XF86Config). You lose some speed, but gain the
color-cells-by-scalar.

----- On 12th December, Craig Scott wrote: ------
Hi all. Got an interesting problem that I suspect is related to the
OpenGL or video driver on my new machine. Any comments from you all
would be appreciated.

After upgrading my machine recently to a Dell D600 laptop (running
RedHat 9), I discovered that cells (specifically tetrahedrons on an
unstructured grid) do not get rendered with colors picked up from the
point data. Instead, they get rendered as  gray. Other (RedHat 9)
machines render the exact same file correctly with cells colored by
interpolating the point data, using exactly the same Vtk binaries. The
only thing different between what works and what doesn't is my new
hardware, as far as I can tell (I maintain the relevant machines, so am
fairly aware of when things get changed).

I had previously been using version 4.3.0-1.cvs20030710. I tried
downloading the latest release version and compiling on my new machine.
The options I changed from the CMakeCache.txt defaults were to turn on
shared libraries, Tcl and Python support, system jpeg and png libraries
and offscreen mesa OpenGL support. The problem still existed for this
version too.

--
Dr Craig Scott, CSIRO (CMIS)
Melbourne, Australia

Do not reenigne our software.
If you don't understand, you are probably not a threat. ;)