[vtkusers] vtkDecimate and memory consumption

Stefan Lindenau stefan.lindenau at gmx.de
Wed Dec 17 16:36:54 EST 2003

Hi there,

I have done a segmentation using ITK and now I want to render it using
the VTK. Therefor I have used the Marching Cubes filter.
When I write the result of this filter to a file it has the size of
672Megabytes. So I want to reduce the size with the vtkDecimate filter,
but whenever I use it it ends with an access violation, I think that is
due to much memory consumption. I have 1Gigabyte RAM and my virtual
memory is about 6,5GB and I am using Windows XP with Visual C++. My
parameters are:

vtkDecimate *decimate = vtkDecimate::New();
        decimate->SetInput(mcubes->GetOutput());
        decimate->PreserveEdgesOn();
        decimate->SetInitialFeatureAngle(60);
        decimate->SetMaximumIterations(2);
        decimate->SetTargetReduction(1);
        decimate->ReleaseDataFlagOn();
        decimate->SetAspectRatio(20);
        decimate->SetInitialError(0.1);
        decimate->SetErrorIncrement(0.01);

Do you have any better proposals for the parameters of the vtkDecimate
filter, or do I have to reduce the resolution of my input material?

Thank you
Stefan