[vtkusers] Displaying Very Large Images

Matthijs Sypkens Smit matthijs at mired.nl
Thu Dec 11 17:13:13 EST 2003

On Thursday 11 December 2003 22:34, Sunayana Saha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to visualize very large images in Java using VTK. The size of
> the image varies from 921600 bytes to 1500000 bytes. Everything goes fine
> until I try to render the image. The window freezes when I try to render
> these images. Is there someway to subsample the images? Which part of the
> visualization pipeline do I modify and which filter(s) can I use to do so.
> I tried using vtkImageShrink3D, but that didn't work.

Being fairly new to VTK myself I don't know if there's a way to do this in VTK
and still maintain an acceptable speed. I know there is the vtkLODActor (LOD
= Level Of Detail), but if the image are large the subsampling might still
freeze the window.

An obvious solution (if acceptable) would be to preprocess the images and
scale them down in size and quality before displaying them with VTK. I don't
know how to easily do this in Windows with multiple images, but with the
right software under Unix/Linux it's quite easy to scale them all at once.

--
Matthijs