[vtkusers] Points within a closed surface _ vtkImplicitPolyData

David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz
Wed Dec 10 15:02:21 EST 2003

Hi Rob,
   I have tinkered with this class for a long time, I keep picking it up
and putting it down, mainly because I have no actual need for it. The
current version is getting quite close to being 'the real thing'. Any
feedback will be appreciated. If I ever get it nailed down 100% I would
contribute it to vtk. See the copious notes in the .h for issues.

The suggestion made on the list of testing a line for intersection would
probably be a quick and easy solution when you have a closed surface,
vtkImplicitPolyData is more general (and slower!).

    regards
        Dave P

PS: I am running vtk 3.1.0 (and 5 is coming..!) so I think there are minor
changes required to the class to compile with later versions.

(See attached file: vtkImplicitPolyDataBeta2.zip)

|         |           Rob van Tol      |
|         |           <rob.vantol at wtcm.|
|         |           be>              |
|         |           vtkusers-admin at vt|
|         |           k.org            |
|         |           10/12/2003 21:11 |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                |
  |       To:       vtkusers at vtk.org                                                                                               |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                      |
  |       Subject:  [vtkusers] Points within a closed surface _ vtkImplicitPolyData                                                |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Dear vtkusers,

I need to check wether points lie within a certain closed closed polydata
surface. I have tried to do this using vtk, but it has not been clear to me
what the best approach should be.
I have searched the archives and there I found remarks about a class called
vtkImplicitPolyData, which should be able to do the trick.

My questions are:
        1) What is the best approach to find if points lie within a certain
closed closed polydata surface ?
        2) Does anyone have this class vtkImplicitPolyData and is willing
to share it with me ?

Best regards,

ROB.

dr. R. van Tol