[vtkusers] change-over to double

Chris Scharver scharver at evl.uic.edu
Tue Dec 9 20:34:06 EST 2003

On Dec 9, 2003, at 7:05 PM, Samson Timoner wrote:

> I'm currently in the process of changing many thousands of "float"
> declarations to "double" declarations in code based on the cvs version
> of
> vtk.

Good to see I'm not the only one who did a cvs update and subsequently
saw the past few months' stability go out the window! I wondered if I
had just accidentally munged my own source code during some backups.
What if I specifically want float precision rather than double? There
is a big difference--especially on PowerPC systems optimized for
floating point performance rather than double. Is there some approach
which could more easily allow one precision or another?

Also, the vtkDataArrayTemplate addition has completely broken 'make
install'. Required files are not installed following compilation, and
as a result the installation cannot be used. I was able to roll back my
source checkout to an earlier date, but I realize that's only a
temporary and limited solution.

Chris

--
Chris Scharver