[vtkusers] Mesa 5.0.2 not drawing

straw dog straw_dog at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 8 10:49:41 EST 2003

Hello,
I've been trying to get vtk4.2.2 to work with Mesa in order to enable
off-screen rendering.  I've found that code that will work just fine with
OpenGL draws an empty screen under Mesa.  Has anyone experienced this
problem.  To test the issue, i used the cylinder example from the
examples/rendering directory and simply replaced the renderwindow and
renderer with Mesa objects, see below.

The original Cylinder code compiles and works perfectly.  With Mesa, all i
get is an empty RenderWindow.

Has anyone seen this before?  Am i botching something in my simple test code
below?  If not, can anyone suggest how to go about diagnosing the problem -
i really can't see even how to identify what the problem is.

Some other details
Mesa version is 5.0.2, compiled as mangled-mesa.  The Mesa examples work
just fine, and i have
tried both statically and dynamically linked configurations with the above
problem.

System is linux, redhat8.  Kernel 2.4.20.
Nvidia Video card, so system Open GL libs are replaced with NVidias - but
should not be the source of the problem (i don't think) as the examples that
come with Mesa work fine.
vtk version is 4.2.2

Thanks much
Rupert Brooks
McGill Centre for Intelligent Machines

Simple code example with Cylinder.cxx from vtk distribution

diff vtk/Examples/Rendering/Cxx/Cylinder.cxx
/home/rain/igns/tools/VTK/src/Examples/Rendering/Cxx/Cylinder.cxx
27,28d26
< #include "vtkMesaRenderer.h"
< #include "vtkXMesaRenderWindow.h"
61,62c59,60
<   vtkMesaRenderer *ren1 = vtkMesaRenderer::New();
<   vtkMesaRenderWindow *renWin = vtkXMesaRenderWindow::New();
---