[vtkusers] Problems with GLX / Display forwarding

Fri Dec 5 10:40:48 EST 2003

Hi list,

i've got an OpenGL / X11 problem with vtk that I can't solve myself. My
application uses vtk to display scientific data and it runs on
different platforms. However, when I try to use it remotely, some
platforms don't work together. Specifically that is running it remotely
on Sun OS and using IRIX or Mac OS X as client. I get the following
output:

> X Error of failed request:  GLXUnsupportedPrivateRequest
>   Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  17 (X_GLXVendorPrivateWithReply)
>   Serial number of failed request:  18

xdpyinfo gives me the following (on Mac OS X 10.3):

> number of extensions:    28
>     Apple-DRI
>     Apple-WM
>     BIG-REQUESTS
>     DEC-XTRAP
>     DOUBLE-BUFFER
>     DPMS
>     Extended-Visual-Information
>     FontCache
>     GLX
>     LBX
>     MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
>     MIT-SHM
>     MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
>     RECORD
>     RENDER
>     SECURITY
>     SGI-GLX
>     SHAPE
>     SYNC
>     TOG-CUP
>     X-Resource
>     XC-APPGROUP
>     XC-MISC
>     XFree86-Bigfont
>     XINERAMA
>     XKEYBOARD
>     XTEST
>     XVideo
> default screen number:    0
> number of screens:    1

That lets me guess, GLI and GLX modules are loaded. In addition, I can
use the exakt same application / vtk version (its a 4.3.something from
the CVS) running it remotely on Linux. Also, I can use the application
running on SunOS fine, if I take Linux as client (debian stable with
NVidia OpenGL drivers).

Is there anything I can do about it? I would file a bug report at
Apple, but I don't understand the problem and therefore wouldn't be
able to help them finding a solution.

Yours, Mark