[vtkusers] Issues with VTK 4.2

Tom G. Smith (Smitty) smitty at kcc.com
Thu Aug 28 11:18:49 EDT 2003

Hello vtkusers at public.kitware.com,

I just installed VTK 4.2 on a RedHat 9.0 system.  We've been using
VTK for a number of years now, since VTK Version 2.4, and it's never
gotten any easier to install and configure.  Here are several
issues:

1.	During the cmake -i, it prompts you to BUILD_SHARED_LIBS,
	with the default of OFF.  If you don't change it to ON and
	subsequently override VTK_WRAP_PYTHON to ON, it waits
	another 30 prompts or so before it dies with the error,
	"VTK_WRAP_PYTHON requires BUILD_SHARED_LIBS to be ON."
	Then you have to go through the whole tedious set of prompts
	from the beginning again.

2.	I left VTK_USE_HYBRID and VTK_USE_PARALLEL both at OFF, but
	set VTK_WRAP_TCL to ON.  When the cmake finished and I
	try to run any of the Tcl examples, they work, but I get
	these messages every time:

	bash-2.05b$ vtk /opt/vtk/Examples/Modelling/Tcl/faultLines.tcl
	can't find package vtkHybridTCL 4.2
	can't find package vtkParallelTCL 4.2

3.	It works, but I get these messages if I run vtk anywhere but
	directly at the console.  These messages have been around
	since VTK 4.0.	They did not appear prior to that version.

	bash-2.05b$ vtk /opt/vtk/Examples/Modelling/Tcl/faultLines.tcl
	Xlib: No protocol specified

4.	Some of the tcl examples don't work at all. I've only listed a few
	that I tried which failed; there are lots more that don't work:

	bash-2.05b$ vtk /opt/vtk/Examples/Modelling/Tcl/procrustesAlignment.tcl
	Error in startup script: invalid command name
	"vtkProcrustesAlignmentFilter" while executing
	"vtkProcrustesAlignmentFilter procrustes1" (file
	"/opt/vtk/Examples/Modelling/Tcl/procrustesAlignment.tcl"
	line 49)

	bash-2.05b$ vtk /opt/vtk/Examples/Modelling/Tcl/hello.tcl
	can't find package vtkHybridTCL 4.2 can't find package
	vtkParallelTCL 4.2 Error in startup script: invalid command
	name "vtkImplicitModeller" while executing "vtkImplicitModeller
	imp" (file "/opt/vtk/Examples/Modelling/Tcl/hello.tcl" line 24)

This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only and may contain
privileged, confidential, or proprietary information that is exempt from
disclosure under law.  If you have received this message in error, please
inform us promptly by reply e-mail, then delete the e-mail and destroy any
printed copy.   Thank you.