[vtkusers] Forcing windows to be on top

Jenny Simpson simpson at cs.utah.edu
Mon Aug 18 13:23:39 EDT 2003

I'm dealing with the issue of render windows being partially or completely
covered when a snapshot is taken using a Vtk writer. I know that
off-screen rendering is one way to solve this problem, but I've tried all
of the suggested ways of doing that on Linux with hardware rendering and a
pure Tcl interface and none of them worked (mangled mesa was a particular
headache).

I read a message that said it may be possible to use vtkTkRenderWidget to
force windows to be on top when a snapshot is taken, but I can't figure
out how to get it working.  I can get the vtkTkRenderWidget to work, but I
can't get it to write out a picture (I always get garbage) and I can't get
the 'raise' command to work either.  Has anyone done this successfully?
Do you have code and/or suggestions?

Thanks,

Jenny Simpson
SCI Institute