[vtkusers] Re: VTK: Mouse Wheel Event

Mathieu Malaterre Mathieu.Malaterre at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Mon Aug 18 07:15:49 EDT 2003

Charl P. Botha wrote:
> This is what you said:
> "I tried some app such as OpenOffice / Mozilla/ Netscape/ Nedit / XEmacs
> ... *ALL* are mapping wheel event to button 4 and 5. So please if you
> know any other app that doesn't make this assumption, please send me.."

Try something like:

Option "ZAxisMapping 6 7"

restart X, and run XEmacs, you'll see in the status bar:

"button6 not defined"
or
"button7 not defined"

I believe none app is able to know what a wheel event is. They all
assume that Button4 and Button5 are map to the wheel.

Now if I do:

Option "ZAxisMapping 6 7"
*AND*
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"

then you'll see that OpenOffice/ Mozilla ...is working again.

If you run 'xev' you'll see that wheel event raise button4/button5 event.

> I hope I have made myself clear this time.

So do I. This an extremely interesting debate, but I am having headache
as I still don't know if I understand the real problem. If so please
apologize, and I'll just give up.

I'll keep mouse wheel event as a local change.

Thanks for your time,
mathieu