[vtkusers] problems with ICP alignement

Tim Hutton T.Hutton at eastman.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 8 07:13:07 EDT 2003

Hi Jonathan,

In general there is no guarantee that ICP will converge to the correct
alignment. Tricks that might help on some types of data include:

- start by aligning centroids (vtkICP has this be default)
- start by aligning principal axes
- start from multiple positions / orientations and use the result that
gives the smallest mean distance

hth,

Tim.