[vtkusers] VTK 4.2.2 with Python 2.3 on OS X

brownr at ucalgary.ca brownr at ucalgary.ca
Mon Aug 4 17:57:27 EDT 2003

A few of us on the Mac Python mailing list have been discussing this... the
problem arises because loadable modules (like Python modules) and shared
libraries are not the same thing on Mach-O based systems (which OSX is).  On
Linux systems it looks like all the VTK Python modules are linked against
each other - you can't do this on the Mac because they're modules, not
libraries.  So some tricks were used to get it working.  In the interest of
stability, the Python 2.3 release no longer supports this.  There is a
recommended way of solving this problem (implemented in the Numeric/Numarray
package).  So the question is, how hard is it to modify the VTK wrapping
system to do this?  The few of us on the Python list don't know much about
it, so we need some expertise from this list.  Any experts in VTK Python
wrapping?