[vtkusers] Line distance implicit function

Chris Scharver scharver at evl.uic.edu
Mon Apr 7 17:44:53 EDT 2003

Hello,

I would like to use a distance function to clip some poly data. I
don't need to visualize the distance function, so vtkImplicitModeller
isn't quite what I want. However, it does seem to provide the core
functionality of sampling distance from a line. I want to use a
vtkImplicitFunction with vtkClipPolyData. The input is just a list of
lines, but I don't want the sampled volume since that would not match
with my polygon data. Do I need to create my own vtkImplicitFunction
from scratch, or is there something already available of which I can
take advantage?

Looking at vtkImplicitModeller.cxx, it seems like I may be able to
use vtkCell::EvaluatePosition() to take care of the work for me.
Would vtkPolyLine's implementation for that method correctly
determine an input point's distance from a given line? Or I am being
overly optimistic? :)

Thanks,
Chris
--