[vtkusers] awt_Lock

philipp.batchelor at kcl.ac.uk philipp.batchelor at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Apr 4 13:03:52 EST 2003

Hi everybody

I have been trying to get vtk in Matlab on Linux, according to the
instructions by J. Anast found at this link:
http://www.cns.bu.edu/~speech/software/vtkMatLab_Instr.txt
but I'm having some trouble with 'awt_Lock' coming from vtkRenderingJava.

vtk + java work, at least the Cone example does.
Matlab + java work, in the sense that my own HelloWorld.java loads and
runs.

However, I started modifying this HelloWorld.java example by adding some
lines from vtkMatlab.java, as described on the site.
import vtk.* doesn't complain, but

'protected vtkRenderWindow rw = new vtkRenderWindow(); '

complains about Native interface (error about VTKInit). A search on the
vtk mailing list led me to try putting a

'protected vtkPanel renPanel = new vtkPanel();'

just before. This then causes the error message
'...libvtkRenderingJava.so:
/usr/local/java/j2sdk1.4.1/jre/lib/i386/libjawt.so: undefined symbol: awt_Lock

and a search for 'awt_Lock' doesn't find much, the most relevant maybe
http://www.thalion-graphics.de/jgraph/doc/devel/graph3d-jniconstraints.html

All the other vtk libraries do not generate complaints from matlab, so the
problem really seems to come from
System.loadLibrary("vtkRenderingJava");

I greped the vtk source for 'awt', but I'm not sure what to look for, I
also ldd'ed the libraries, this looks ok.
I'm not an everyday user of java, so maybe I'm missing something?

Versions:
linux: RH 7.1, 2.4.7-10
java: jdk1.4.1
matlab: 6.5r13,
typing version -java in matlab produces 'Java 1.3.1 with Blackdown
Java-Linux Team Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM'
I noticed in vtkJavaAwt.h 'awt.version = JAWT_VERSION_1_3;'
could it be a version problem?

any suggestion welcome...and sorry as I realise that it is as much a java
question as a vtk one.

P. Batchelor