[vtkusers] Stream Tube

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Mon Sep 23 09:28:34 EDT 2002

Unfortunately, this is a common problem with the current streamline
filter. There are two different settings which control step length:
1. vtkStreamer:: IntegrationStepLength. This controls the step size
   used in the actual integration and has units of cell length
2. vtkStreamLine:: StepLength. This controls the length of each
line segment in the output. When it is smaller than the
IntegrationStepLength, interpolation is used to add points. The
problem is that this setting has units of time. Therefore, where
the magnitude of velocity is small, you will end up with more points,
probably a lot more than there is integration points. However, if you
choose a larger StepLength, you might loose points where the speed is
larger.

The solution ? If using 4.0, play with StepLength until you reach
a compromise. If using a development (nightly) version of VTK, use
vtkStreamTracer. It only has one step length parameter which controls
both the integration points and the actual output and you can specify
which units to use.

-Berk