[vtkusers] vtk4.0 installation on redhat7.3

John jss at au.mensa.org
Thu Sep 19 18:38:46 EDT 2002

Hi,

> Also see my CMakeCache.txt file below.  I've tried editing it to set the
> directory correctly, but cmake still gives the same errors.

you say youve edited the CMakeCache.txt to set it to the correct
directory... but your working directory is /tmp_mnt/singularity/...
yet you have set the directory as just /singularity/...

if you get the same errors after changing
CMAKE_CACHEFILE_DIR:INTERNAL=/singularity/maxa/home/galen/src/vtk/VTK
CMAKE_CACHEFILE_DIR:INTERNAL=/tmp_mnt/singularity/maxa/home/galen/src/vtk/VTK

then CMake is probably rewriting your CMakeCache.txt when it shouldnt.

>From my rather vague memory there is a "c" command in CMake which configures
things, probably altering values in CMakeCache.txt -- and it has a "g"
for generate-- to generate the makefiles for VTK. After you have edited
the directory directly in the CMakeCache.txt file you probably just need to
do "g", not "c".

If just using "g" doesnt work, try editing the file to fix the incorrect
directory and then make the file read-only so CMake can't rewrite it.

Good luck!

BTW i think VTK should dump CMake. It seems to have problems on MacOS X,
and its just an annoying nuisance overall. There must be better tools out
there.

Also, some more informative help strings on each of the VTK options you can
set in CMake would make building VTK easier...

john

> galen at singularity%pwd
> /tmp_mnt/singularity/maxa/home/galen/src/vtk/VTK
> galen at singularity%cmake -i
> Would you like to see advanced options? [No]:Yes
> Please wait while cmake processes CMakeLists.txt files....
>
> CMake Error: Faild to create
> directory:/singularity/maxa/home/galen/src/vtk/VTK
etc ...
> galen at singularity%cat CMakeCache.txt
> # This is the CMakeCache file.
---