[vtkusers] Rendering in a thread causes "Xlib: unexpected async reply"

Stefan Bruckner stefan.bruckner at chello.at
Fri Sep 13 15:58:25 EDT 2002

Hi. I'm using vtk 4.0 and Qt 3.0.5 (utilizing Carsten Kuebler's vtk_qt)
on a Linux system. I want to perform rendering in a seperate QThread.
But calling the vtkRenderWindow::Render() method results in "Xlib:
unexpected async reply" errors.

I have found out that this happens because of X's limited
multi-threading support ...
>From a google search I have seen, that some other people have
experienced this behaviour.

Is this possible at all? If yes, can anybody give me a hint how to do
it?
Does it work with current nightly-builds from CVS?

I hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks,
Stefan Bruckner