[vtkusers] install java and vtk on Windows

Jarek Sacha galicjan at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 13 13:01:44 EDT 2002

--- Marcelo Costa Oliveira <marcelo at cci.fmrp.usp.br> wrote:
> Hi, users !!!
>
> Windows XP, java 1.3.1 and vtk4.0

This is not your immediate proble, but Java 1.3.1 does not work well with
VTK on NT/2000/XP, try 1.4.0 or 1.4.1.

> I have *.java
>
> and *.class
>

> And this problem happened
>

> C:\vtk\Examples>c:\jdk\bin\javac SimpleVTK.java
> SimpleVTK.java:5: package vtk does not exist
> import vtk.*;
You immediate problem: you need to have vtk.jar in your classpath while
compiling or running VTK code. Either set CLASSPATH variable to where your
vtk.jar or passit as an option to the compiler like this:

 c:\jdk\bin\javac -classpath .;c:\mypath\vtk.jar SimpleVTK.java

"." is needed to include you current directory, replace c:\mypath with
wherever your vtk.jar is. Put a path in quotation marks "" if it contains
spaces, e.g.:

 c:\jdk\bin\javac -classpath .;"c:\my path\vtk.jar" SimpleVTK.java

Hope this helps,

Jarek