[vtkusers] Tensor visualization of Residual Stress

Jose Paulo Moitinho de Almeida moitinho at civil.ist.utl.pt
Wed Sep 11 09:54:13 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 11 September 2002 13:54, Mecit Yaman wrote:
> Dear VTK users,
>
> I am doing my PhD on tensor visualization of depth resolved residual
> stress. Is there anyone who is (or was) interested in tensor visualization.
> I will be very happy to welcome any suggestions about the topic.Being a
> physicist, I do also need some help with the computational part of my
> project.
>
> What is the best way to draw ellipsoids at a regular spacing in a 3D
> volume? I have checked an example in the VTK object oriented book, which is
> a special case (Boussinesq Problem). VTK handles this with special data
> structures created uniquely for this problem.
>
> What is the best way to draw ellipsoids throughout a volume at regular
> spacings? I would like to use a scalar function f(x,y,z) to scale and
> rotate the ellipsoids.

vtkTensorGlyph does what you want, but if you have a set of points (a
structured grid in your case?), the tensors, and just want to visualize them
via vtk you should perhaps try mayavi:  http://mayavi.sourceforge.net

I prepared a quick example (TensorGlyphs + SurfaceMap) at
http://www.civil.ist.utl.pt/~moitinho/mayavi/dam.png

Regards

Ze Paulo