[vtkusers] vtk.net

Anwar Ludin anwar.ludin at tiscali.ch
Tue Sep 10 06:57:00 EDT 2002

Hi

Are there any language bindings planed in order to use vtk with c# and .NET? From my understanding the different language bindings to Tcl, Python & Java are generated automatically. How is this done?

I think it is not very difficult to integrate vtk with .NET by using Visual C++ 7.0 and managed code ( I successfully ported the Win32Cone.cxx example to .NET by using a .NET WinForm for the rendering).

Basically it could be relatively easy to write managed wrapper classes around the unmanaged vtk code and expose the framework to .NET. Also I would like to use .NET for GUI programming because I believe that the .NET GUI framework based on WinForms is much cleaner than MFC. The only "disadvantage" is that .NET does nt provide a Document/View framework.  However you could easily build an MVC framework specifically for vtk/.NET.

Has anyone started working on this? Is there an interest to start such an initiative?

Regards
Anwar Ludin