[vtkusers] connection to ":0.0" refused by server

Tom G. Smith (Smitty) smitty at kcc.com
Thu Oct 24 15:08:43 EDT 2002

As I said in my original post (see below) I have no trouble running
any other X client in this environment.  I'd already tried
"xhost +myhost" but as a last resort; I wouldn't have expected it to
make any difference.  My display is -

  bash-2.05a$ echo $DISPLAY
  myhost:11.0

*not* ":0.0".  Perhaps the real question should be, why is vtk partially
ignoring my $DISPLAY value?  Ssh is listening on port 11 on myhost.
It captures all of the X Client output, sending it back to my real
host in its own encrypted tunnel.
BTW, I tried this -

  export TCLLIBPATH=/contrib/vtk/VTK/Wrapping/Tcl
  vtk -display $DISPLAY \
  /contrib/vtk/VTK/Examples/Modelling/Tcl/hello.tcl

which gives me a grey-filled window labeled "vtk," no "Hello" graphic,
no interaction, nada, and the only way I've found to get rid of it
is to press Ctrl-C.  If I leave off the -display -

  export TCLLIBPATH=/contrib/vtk/VTK/Wrapping/Tcl
  vtk /contrib/vtk/VTK/Examples/Modelling/Tcl/hello.tcl

I get the "Hello" graphic, and I can interact with it, rotating,
zooming, etc, just like I can with VTK 3.2.  But I get this message
at startup (Note that :0.0 is *NOT* my $DISPLAY value) -

  Xlib: No protocol specified

and when I press "q" to exit, I get a segmentation fault.

Original post to vtkusers at public.kitware.com: