[vtkusers] Converting Image Data to a Volume

Stephen Reilly stephen.reilly at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 23 18:25:47 EDT 2002

I have a set of greyscale images, and I would like to convert it to a volume so that I can apply a number of transfer functions.

I am not sure if I should first convert it to PolyData, and then try and convert it to a volume.

At present, I read the files in, and use vtkMarchingCubes to convert them to poly data, then I use vtkDecimate them to cut down the size of the object I have to render. If I pass this into a PolyDataMapper and Actor, I can see that everything has gone well - all the conversions have been successful, and the images have been put together to make a single object.

I tried using vtkShepardMethod to convert the PolyData to a Volume, but this crashes the program. I am not sure if I have set up the input incorrectly, or if this is just the wrong class. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen