[vtkusers] Pb building and using the STATIC libraries of VTK (CVS version)

Thomas Deschamps tdeschamps at lbl.gov
Mon Oct 21 16:47:19 EDT 2002

Dear VTK users,

I have some problems using the static libraries produces by the
compilation of the sources of VTk on 2 different platforms:
1) Linux RedHat 7.2
2) SunOs 5.7

My version of VTK is downloaded from the CVS repository.

In both cases, the linking against these libraries is not working. It
produces a lots of Undefined Symbol, while all the *.a files are called.
I used -static on both machines for gcc. And for choosing between static
and shared libraries, I just set the cmake flag BUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=OFF
I really want to create an executable independent from the libraries, I
really want to use static libraries.

Thank you very much for your help

Thomas (tdeschamps at lbl.gov)