[vtkusers] "GLX" missing?

Tom G. Smith (Smitty) smitty at kcc.com
Fri Oct 18 16:15:33 EDT 2002

Hello vtkusers at public.kitware.com,

I had to tell cmake not to do Java Wrappers to avoid a syntax error on
a compiler, but I've succeeded in getting cmake -i, followed by make,
to complete for VTK 4.0 without errors on a RedHat 7.3 Linux host.
But when I do -

  export TCLLIBPATH=/contrib/vtk/VTK/Wrapping/Tcl
  vtk /contrib/vtk/VTK/Examples/Modelling/Tcl/hello.tcl

I get this result:

  Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display "uswew004:10.0".
  ...the above repeated...
  ERROR: In /contrib/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 195
  vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x9005ae8): Could not find a decent visual
  Segmentation fault

>From the same host, I can do this to another host with VTK 3.2 installed,
and it works fine:

  ssh oldhost "(cd /contrib/vtk/vtk3.2/graphics/examplesTcl; vtk hello.tcl)"

Here's what I did to compile, after installing cmake:

  tar xzf vtk40Src.tar.gz
  chown -R root:root VTK
  cd VTK
  tar xzf ../vtk40Data.tar.gz
  cmake -i # Skipped Java Wrappers.
  make

I did not install Mesa beforehand, because there are some conflicts with
the openGL rpm, already installed.

This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only and may contain privileged, confidential, or proprietary information that is exempt from disclosure under law.  If you have received this message in error, please inform us promptly by reply e-mail, then delete the e-mail and destroy any printed copy.   Thank you.