[vtkusers] window/level concept

anast.jm at pg.com anast.jm at pg.com
Thu Oct 17 14:09:02 EDT 2002

Yes, of course you are correct, level is the center of the range not the
beginning as I stated....not enough caffeine that night apparently. Sorry for
the confusion...john

 Internet Mail Message
 Received from host:      public.kitware.com
 [24.97.130.19]

From: Edward Bachta <ebachta at ncsa.uiuc.edu>@public.kitware.com on 10/17/2002
12:05 PM

      Edward Bachta <ebachta at ncsa.uiuc.edu>           To:   John Anast-JM/PGI at PGI
                        @public.kitware.com           Cc:   vtkusers at public.kitware.com
                                              Subject:      Re: [vtkusers] window/level concept

                                   Sent by:
          vtkusers-admin at public.kitware.com
                        10/17/2002 01:05 PM

That's odd, because in the VTK User's Guide v4.0 on page 127 the
window/level scheme is described differently. There is a diagram:

             ____________
            /
           /
__________/
         | ^ |
         <-W->

This is my understanding:

Level (L) designates the center of the range of values mapped to
grayscale. Window designates the extent of the range to either side of the
level. Thus, the range mapped is (level-window/2) to (level+window/2). For
a positive window value, regions less than (level-window/2) are clamped to
black and regions greater than (level+window/2) are clamped to white.
Regions at (level) are 50% gray. With a negative window value you get the
inverse image.

Based on what I have observed in my implementations using vtkImageViewer,
this is correct. (VTK CVS version circa Sept 24th)

--
Ed Bachta
ebachta at ncsa.uiuc.edu

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 anast.jm at pg.com wrote:

> Steffen,
>
> If you think of the image histogram, the window is the range of values that
will
> be mapped to your display, the level is where in the histogram this range
> begins. For example if you have a 4096 bin histogram, a window of 250 and a
> level of 1000, this would map bins 1000-1250 full scale onto your display, all
> other values would be clipped. The Window/Level concept is also know in
> photographic circles as contrast/bightness and for cameras gain/offset....john
>

>  Internet Mail Message
>  Received from host:      public.kitware.com
>  [24.97.130.19]
>

> From: Steffen Oeltze <Steffen.Oeltze at Student.Uni-Magdeburg.DE>
> @public.kitware.com on 10/16/2002 10:00 AM ZE2
>
>      Steffen Oeltze <Steffen.Oeltze at Student.Uni-Magdeburg.DE>           To:
VTK users
>                                           @public.kitware.com
<vtkusers at public.kitware.com>
(bcc: John Anast-JM/PGI)