[vtkusers] Texture mapping on a sphere. Bugs?

Ali Can canali at ecse.rpi.edu
Thu Oct 3 13:20:21 EDT 2002

A beginner needs help:

I want to map a texture on a sphere but encountered the following problems:
Please see http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~cana/Problems.htm
1) The ascept ratio is lost, although I am using the same scale factor for each dimension
xform[1]->SetScale(1.3, 1.3, 1.3);
2) There is a leak in the texture.... Please see the above web site.

3) I couldn't find any documentation about what the units are for the command
xform->SetPosition(float, float, float);
What are the units of these floats; rad, degree, pixel?
More importantly, if you can direct me to web adresses that I can find such information that would be great.

I used the following classes.

  sphere = vtkSphereSource::New();
  tmapper = vtkTextureMapToSphere::New();
  vtkTransformTextureCoords *xform;
  vtkDataSetMapper *sphereMapper;
  texture->SetInput(picReader->GetOutput());
  texture->InterpolateOff();
  texture->RepeatOff();
  sphereActor->SetMapper(sphereMapper);
  sphereActor->SetTexture(texture);

Thanks,
Ali Can,
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution,

Deep Submergence laboratory,

Blake 206, MS #7,
Woods Hole, MA, 02543.
Tel: (508) 289-3740   Fax: (508) 457-2191
Email: acan at whoi.edu   Web: http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~cana/