[vtkusers] About the Solid CAD File Output.

anast.jm at pg.com anast.jm at pg.com
Wed Oct 2 13:09:52 EDT 2002

Yan,

STL only supports surfaces using triangles (the surface defines the enclosed
volume, which is exactly what your MarchingCubes is doing). If you need to
create a tetrahedral mesh, try looking at vtkDelauney3D and its examples for
some ideas. I've used surface triangles in STL format to generate solid parts
with RP and it works fine. If you have a surface that is not closed, try
extruding the surface to create an enclosed volume (see vtkLinearExtrusionFilter
with capping on) before saving to STL...john

 Internet Mail Message
 Received from host:      public.kitware.com
 [24.97.130.19]

From: "#YAN RI AN#" <PS7278514B at ntu.edu.sg>@public.kitware.com on 10/02/2002
04:54 PM ZE8

      "#YAN RI AN#" <PS7278514B at ntu.edu.sg>           To:   "Vtkusers (E-mail)"