[vtkusers] X11 error (thread safety)

Phil Cook p.cook at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Fri May 10 13:55:45 EDT 2002

> I am running VTK 4.n (from CVS) with Java and Linux Mandrake 8.2. The
> OpenGL is supplied by NVIDIA for my Geoforce II MX, and my XFree86
> version is 4.2.0.
>
> My VTK application loads correctly, but after a while (time varies, but
> it is on the order of minutes) it freezes and I get the error:
>
> 	Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x31725)!

OK, Jeff Lee has kindly helped me find the source of this problem. I had
overloaded a method of vtkPanel and forgotten about it, and I hadn't
incorporated the locking procedures when upgrading to VTK 4.

As a hack to solve a problem in VTK 3.2, I had directly called

vtkPanel.rw.Render()

But the locking code seems to have solved that problem altogether, and a
call to vtkPanel.Render() now suffices.

Phil