[vtkusers] Re: [some thoughts] Newbie: Installing vtk 4.0 on Darwin(Quartz)

Yves Starreveld ystarrev at uwo.ca
Fri May 10 03:06:22 EDT 2002

Jan-Hendrik,

> (some instant gratification...)

Instant gratification is good.

> Now I have a few more questions relating to the howto guide:
>
> - I used cmake in interactive mode, without editing CMakeCache.txt; in
> retrospect the OpenGl path was set correctly, but I did not build it as
> shared libraries. Will this come back to haunt me? What is the
> practical implication of not building as shared libraries?

Your applications will be bigger.

> - My implementation is C++ based (no Tcl/Tk); if the VTK interactor is
> Cocoa based - does that mean that all VTK libs can only be used in
> Cocoa projects?

No, you can use the VTK libs from any project. Standalone VTK apps (like
Mace) are indistinguishable to the end user whether they use Cocoa or
Carbon. Using vtk from Tk or wxWindows requires Carbon windows since the
event loops are different. As of about an hour ago, the Carbon
interactors are fully working from C++, so you should have no problem
whatever you decide to do.

There are new options in CMakeCache.txt (VTK_USE_CARBON, or
VTK_USE_COCOA) to select between the two.

This will appear in cvs when write access is restored.

Yves