[vtkusers] Newbie: Installing vtk 4.0 on Darwin(Quartz)

Jan Hendrik Kruger MGIJHK at puknet.puk.ac.za
Thu May 9 11:57:09 EDT 2002

Hi everyone

Let me first ask: is there a "how to" or FAQ on this subject that could
enlighten me?

I have dowloaded the newest vtk 4.0 release version, and built it on
Mac OS X with the "VTK_USE_QUARTZ" setting switched on and the location
of the OpenGL library specified as "-framework Cocoa -framework OpenGL".
All other settings were left at their defaults, and the standard Unix
process were followed:

./configure
make

The vtk build completed and I have the libraries, but when I try to
compile the cone.cxx example under Project Builder, I get a lot of
"undefined symbols" errors.

My C++ experience is mostly limited to straightforward console
application type programs, I do not have a lot of experience with the
use of external libraries and the whole Unix methodology of application
building/installation.

Thanks for helping!
Jan-Hendrik Kruger