[vtkusers] Looking for Tutorial on VTK and Java, and VTK in general

Kathy Walker kwalker at pegasustec.com
Wed May 1 09:31:11 EDT 2002

Hi All,

I am trying to evaluate if VTK meets our needs for data visualization.
Preferably, our application will have a Swing interface, and we want to
display, trim, and resample data from 2D plots, and display interpolations
of data in 3D plots, based on sparse data sets. I am having a devil of a
time finding any documentation on the internet. I see big lists of
functions, but nothing grouping the functions in terms of what they do, and
I can't find any real tutorials anywhere.

Do I have to buy the book, "The Visualization Toolkit: An Object-Oriented
Approach To 3D Graphics" and does this provide sufficient documentation such
that I can build a prototype meeting the above requirements? In general, is
VTK the tool that I should be looking at for these requirements? Last, does
any list member here have some favorite links that can get me started?

Kathy(tm)
-
If you think the United States has stood still, who built the largest
shopping center in the world?
   -- Richard Nixon