[vtkusers] nvidia 1.0-2802 linux drivers + vtk 3.2 CVS

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at its.tudelft.nl
Tue Mar 19 04:40:51 EST 2002

Hoi Rob!

Okay, good idea.  I just wanted to confirm that the problem wasn't in my
head.  Shall we send something like this to linux-bugs at nvidia.com:

--------
Dear Sir/Madam,

With the NVidia 1.0-2802 drivers and XFree86 4.1 there's a reproducible
problem with VTK (http://www.kitwar.com/vtk/index.html), cvs checkout from
3.2 tree.  No new developments are performed on the 3.2 tree and this
software is considered to be near bug-free.

To reproduce, build VTK and then build Cone3.cxx in vtk/graphics/examplesCxx
by doing "make Cone3".  Running Cone3 results in a window with the cone
rendered, but as soon as one interacts with the rendering the cone
disappears.  By moving the window, then switching to wireframe and back to
surface mode ('w' and then 's') the cone returns and interaction continues
normally.

With the Mace.cxx example, it gets more interesting.  This makes use of two
actors, a sphere and a collection of cones on the sphere.  It seems that the
first actor (the sphere) is just not rendered (but the second one is) until
one does the move-wireframe-surface trick.

All of this works fine with the 1.0.2314 and previous drivers.

As you know, your boards and linux drivers are quite popular in the graphics
and visualisation communities and are often used in conjunction with VTK.
Your assistance in investigating this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Charl P. Botha
Data Visualisation Group, Delft Technical University, The Netherlands
http://visualisation.tudelft.nl/

Robert Belleman
Section Computational Science, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbel/
--------