[vtkusers] discarding cells

Matthias Baitsch matthias.baitsch at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Mar 18 06:29:42 EST 2002

Hi David,

thank you for the response to my question.

David Pont wrote:

> Hi Matthias,
>   How about these:
>
>   vtkEdgeFilter
> vtkExtractEdges is a filter to extract edges from a dataset. Edges are
> extracted as lines or polylines.

As far as I understood, vtkExtractEdges converts the outlines of the
polygons to lines. What I needed was just to remove the polygons/lines
from the polydata. I solved my problem with a vtkProgrammableFilter.
The execute Method of my derived class - set with
SetExecuteMethod(Object o, String name) - just does

  GetPolyDataOutput().SetPolys(null);

or

  GetPolyDataOutput().SetLines(null);

respectively (I'm using Java).

regards, Matthias

>   vtkTriangleFilter
> vtkTriangleFilter generates triangles from input polygons and triangle
> strips. The filter also will pass through vertices and lines, if requested.
>
>   regards, Dave Pont
>
> >From: Matthias Baitsch <matthias.baitsch at ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
> >To: "vtkusers at public.kitware.com" <vtkusers at public.kitware.com>
> >Subject: [vtkusers] discarding cells
> >Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 12:39:24 +0100
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >I wonder if where is a possibility (a filter) to discard a specific
> >cell type (e.g. lines) from polydata.
> >
> >What I want to do roughly looks like this:
> >

> >LineCells --|                           |-> ??? (discard polys) --
> >render only lines
> >             |                           |
> >PolyCells --|-> PolyData -- WarpScalar -|
> >             |       |                   |
> >Points -----|       |                   |-> CountourFilter      --
> >render countour lines
> >             |       |
> >Normals ----|       |
> >                     |---------------------> ??? (discard lines) --
> >render only surface
> >

> >Can someone point me to the question marks in the diagram above? It
> >would be possible to write a filter, but I think there is a simpler
> >solution.
> >
> >Thanks, Matthias

Dipl.-Ing. Matthias Baitsch
Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum