[vtkusers] Static Libraries!!!!?????

James C. Robinson j.robinson at kepler.ie
Sat Jun 22 13:34:39 EDT 2002

NB: OS Windows 98
Compiler: MS C++ v6

Dear All,

I must be missing something fundamental, but I simply cannot achieve my
goal, which is to add the vtk libraries as static libraries into my project.
I have used Cmake to create static libraries (I think!!??) by directing
Cmake at the folders containing the source code that I downloaded and
getting it to compile. The BUILD_SHARED_LIBS is OFF by default (which is
what I want??).

The resulting *.lib files are larger than the originals that were generating
during the original install process (which is what I woul dexpect). I have
used the OPTIONS/DIRECTORIES to point my project to the appropriate folder
and have included vtkCommon.lib etc in the settings under the link tab. I am
getting the following errors:

cross-section.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
"__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall
vtkPolyDataMapper::SetInput(class vtkPolyData *)"
(__imp_?SetInput at vtkPolyDataMapper@@QAEXPAVvtkPolyData@@@Z)
IsoSurface.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
"__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall
vtkPolyDataMapper::SetInput(class vtkPolyData *)"
(__imp_?SetInput at vtkPolyDataMapper@@QAEXPAVvtkPolyData@@@Z)
vtkFlows.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
"__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall

GAP for removed similar errors.

vtkMFCRenderView.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
"__declspec(dllimport) long __stdcall vtkHandleMessage2(struct HWND__
*,unsigned int,unsigned int,long,class vtkWin32RenderWindowInteractor *)"
(__imp_?vtkHandleMessage2@@YGJPAUHWND__@
@IIJPAVvtkWin32RenderWindowInteractor@@@Z)
.\Presentation Version/PISPARSEPanMeshv3.1.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 62
unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

PISPARSEPanMeshv3.1.exe - 82 error(s), 6 warning(s)

I would have assumed that compiling the vtk libraries statically would mean
that all the code has been included and that there is no need for dlls
(which is what I want to achieve).

Please help, as I am becoming increasingly
despondent/frustrated/annoyed/tired etc.

Regards,

Jim
______________________

Dr. James C. Robinson, BE,MEngSc,PhD,CEng,MIEI,
Kepler Engineering Software Ltd.,
42 Rivergrove,
Glanmire, Co. Cork,
Eire