[vtkusers] altering the normals

mepisto mepisto at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 22 07:46:49 EDT 2002

hi all,

I m trying to simulate bump mapping on a sphere by changing the normals in a random manner. I actually make a vtkFloatArray with random numbers and copy that array with the SetNormals to a vtkPointData of the sphere.
The methode doesnt work. What I m I doing wrong?

kind regards
Stijn

#------------------------------
# BUMP MAPPING
#------------------------------

# create the sphere
vtkSphereSource bump
    bump SetThetaResolution 20
    bump SetPhiResolution 20
    bump SetRadius 1.8
    bump Update

vtkPolyDataNormals qqq
    qqq SetInput [bump GetOutput]
    qqq ComputePointNormalsOn
    qqq Update

vtkPolyData pDatat
    set pDatat [bump GetOutput]
    puts [$pDatat GetNumberOfPoints]
    pDatat Update

vtkPointData pData1
    set pData1 [[[qqq GetOutput] GetPointData] GetNormals]  #get the normals data
    puts [$pData1 GetNumberOfTuples ]
    pData1 Update

vtkFloatArray floatArrayNormals
    vtkMath rand
    floatArrayNormals SetNumberOfComponents 3
    floatArrayNormals SetNumberOfTuples 362

for {set i 0} {$i<362} {incr i} {
    floatArrayNormals InsertNextValue [rand Random 0 1]
    # puts [floatArrayNormals GetValue $i]
}

puts [floatArrayNormals GetNumberOfTuples]

    pData1 SetNormals floatArrayNormals
    pData1 Update
    pDatat Update
    qqq Update
    bump Update

vtkPolyDataMapper bumpMapper
    bumpMapper SetInput [bump GetOutput]

vtkActor bumpActor
    bumpActor SetMapper bumpMapper
    [bumpActor GetProperty] SetColor 0.9 0.1 0.15
    bumpActor SetPosition 2.5 1.6 2.55
    eval [bumpActor GetProperty] SetInterpolationToGouraud