[vtkusers] pthread vs sproc

Praveen Bhaniramka praveenb at gauri.engr.sgi.com
Sun Jul 28 18:58:08 EDT 2002

Hi Song,

> Hi,
>   I still have question about pthread and sproc mode of VTK: if I set
> both CMAKE_USE_PTHREADS and CMAKE_USE_SPROC to OFF in compilation of
> VTK, the compilation still finished successfully(while if set both to ON
> it will fail), anybody know which mode it is when set both to OFF ????

I would imagine that you should set CMAKE_USE_PTHREADS to ON and
CMAKE_USE_SPROC to OFF, provided you are running IRIX 6.5 or above. On
IRIX, it is not a good idea to use sprocs in an application which links
against pthreads. I am able to run the Volumizer based 3D texture mapper
(which links against pthreads) with VTK 4.0 and VTK 3.x without any
problems.

>   And no matter which combination of this two parameters I choose, my
> program will crash if I use OpenMP on IRIX,  while it works if using VTK
> version 3.2....is there any change on version 4.0 against 3.2 ????

If OpenMP uses sprocs internally, then the above would still give you
problems. I can provide you some simple code which you can use to prevent
the above problem by using pthreads consistently on IRIX.

Try the above first and see if the problem still persists.

hth,
Praveen

Praveen Bhaniramka               Member of Technical Staff (MTS)
praveenb at sgi.com                 Advanced Graphics Division
(650)933-1785                    Silicon Graphics, Inc.