[vtkusers] VTK Python on Sun Solaris

Hua Qian hqian at imaging.robarts.ca
Fri Jul 12 09:37:22 EDT 2002

Hi Andy,

Here are the answers to your questions.

1. CMake: 1.2, Pre-compiled binary from www.cmake.org
2. Sun WorkShop 6 update 2 C/C++ 5.3
3.  /opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC -o vtkpython \
          Modules/vtkpython.o libpython2.2.a -lsocket -lnsl -ldl
-lpthread -lthread -lm

vtkpython.cc:
/* Minimal main program -- everything is loaded from the library */

#include "Python.h"
#include <iostream>

extern "C"
DL_EXPORT(int) Py_Main( int argc, char *argv[] );

int main( int argc, char *argv[] )
{
        return Py_Main(argc, argv);
}

Hua

Andy Cedilnik wrote:

>Sorry, I did not read the whole e-mail...
>
>So, the first part:
>ImportError: ld.so.1: ./python: fatal: relocation error:
>file /net/chaos/chaos/data/hqian/VTK-sun/bin/libvtkCommonPython.so:
>symbol __1cG__CrunKpure_error6F_v_: referenced symbol not found
>
>bla__CrunKpure__bla  is from "standard" C++ library on Sun. I had the
>same problem until I compiled the whole thing using C++.
>
>ImportError: ld.so.1: ./vtkpython: fatal: relocation error:
>file /net/chaos/chaos/data/hqian/VTK-sun/bin/libvtkCommonPython.so:
>symbol __1cDstdEcerr_: referenced symbol not found
>
>bla__1cDstdEcerr__bla is as you can guess cerr. This means it does not
>get initialized properly. So, I guess to go from here, let us try to
>answer couple of simple questions:
>
>1. What version of CMake?
>2. What version of Sun C++?
>3. What exactly does compile line for vtkpython look like?
>
>				Andy

>>I think Hua has already tried this out and linked the vtkpython
>>executable to libpython.a.  However, this approached failed again.
>>
>>Any ideas why this happens even with the vtkpython binary?  I dont
>>have much experience with Solaris to really answer.

Hua Qian, Ph.D.
Programmer/Analyst
Imaging Research Laboratories
Robarts Research Institute